Thursday, July 16, 2015

Still finding ways to enjoy life through all the challenges

Brad founded Laps 4 MD as a way to be involved with Motorsports and make a difference
When it comes to living with any type of disability at times it can be challenging finding activities that are fun that you can participate in. It was always my dream to become a professional race car driver, but from the start I knew it was simply too physically demanding of a sport to be involved in. Did this get me down? No it didn't. You see for many of us when we face challenges it simply forces us to become creative. After all simply having a disability does not take away our ability to enjoy life or have a good time. Thankfully some of us are able to find other ways to be involved in the things we love. In my situation I took my love for Motorsports and founded Laps for Muscular Dystrophy. As you can see even though I couldn't become a professional race driver I found another way to be involved. Unfortunately at time some people make the mistake of believing that once they’ve been diagnosed with a condition of some form of disability that there ability to have fun is somehow diminished. But this is not true, now sure there might be things we are unable to participate in but there are still many other ways for us to enjoy life.

It may surprise some but many people with physical limitation's still participate in sports - just in a different way. It's like those who love ice sports can play Sled Hockey which was designed to allow people with disabilities to play ice hockey. A sport that is still pretty intense and fun for those who can participate. Boccia is another sport that those with cerebral palsy or related conditions involving a wheelchairs can participate in. Surprisingly there is a long list of sports people with disabilities can still participate in. But if your not into sports simple activities that are fun aren't that hard to find, even if it's just a small thing. One thing I have found that allows me to join in with my friends and have a good time is playing cards. The greatest thing about the game is that doesn’t really involve much physical activity. Now the only area I have ever run into problems is when it comes to shuffling cards, but that's nothing an automatic card shuffler can't fix. Thankfully my friends have no problem shuffling the cards for me. But even in times when it comes to activities that don't involve our friends there are still other things we can do. In my spare time I like listening to music which helps me to relax relieving most of the stress that comes my way. Right now I am listening to an artist by the name of Json who has a song by the name of "It's Alright" which helps me through the more stressful days. 


One thing I also really enjoy doing is going to the movies even with the challenges of climbing a few steps seeing the latest film can be a great experience. Unfortunately I seem to have really bad luck when picking a seat as I usually end up with someone sitting behind me spending the entire movie talking or even worse kicking the back of my seat. But it still a fun experience plus if you go on the right day it’s a pretty cheap form of entertainment. I just wish more theaters were designed a bit better as even climb a few steps to my seat can be quite challenging. The one's I feel bad for are those in wheelchairs who in some theaters are forced to sit at the bottom, which usually results in neck pain from having to look up the whole time. I have sat there before and it's not a fun experience. Thankfully one local theater has an elevator that allows me to sit in the top row, this is at my local Landmark Cinema's which has four large size theaters that were designed properly to handle the needs of those with disabilities. What I am really looking forward to seeing very soon is the new James Bond movie as I am sure it will be action packed. You see in in life I always do my best to focus on the positives, even if there are things I am unable to do or participate in I do my best to not let it get me down. 

One of the best pieces of advice I can give you it to always have something to look forward to. Whether it's a simple as the latest movie to come out or just a weekend hanging out with friends these are things to look forward to. If there are things you love in life that you are unable to participate in due to the physical demands look at other ways you can be involved. If you like soccer or any other form of sport look into becoming a coach or start a blog and write about your love for the sport. As you can see there are still plenty of ways for all of us to enjoy life even though we may have a physical disability.




2 comments:

  1. Hahaha...Yeah sitting at the bottom in a wheelchair sucks!!! I like to go to theaters where the entrance is at the top in the back. There were a few near me that I didn't even know about because it was almost like a big secret that there were doors up there and an elevator to get there too. Nice article...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Are you an often online visitor or maybe you prefer live communication?

    ReplyDelete