Wednesday, August 4, 2021

A look at the efforts to redefine the word walking

First I need to explain what the "How I Walk Movement" is all about, it's an attempt to rebrand the word walking. They say it's about challenging individual and societal perspectives. To them they feel there's a need to promote walking as an inclusive physical activity term that is individualized. Claiming there are various ways to walk, and that now is the time to rebrand the word walking so that everybody is included in walking initiatives.

This seems to imply an inability to walk is a bad thing. Why are we trying to fix things that aren't problems? You walk or roll, I am not walking when I am using my mobility scooter. Saying I am walking when I am not will just confuse people. It will take the focus off people's needs for mobility aid devices. Walking is already made inclusive when we use our certain mobility aids whether it's a wheelchair or scooter.

Why not address real problems instead of creating issues where there never was one. This is as dumb as me going out on my mobility scooter and telling everyone I went for a walk today. Or going for a drive in my car and claiming I went for a run today!

We need to address the real issues like fighting for more acceptance of those with all abilities and the equipment they need and not the pointless rebranding of the word walking. Not everyone can walk and that's okay, I am pretty sure they don't feel left out, are we forgetting about the freedom and independence mobility aids like wheelchairs and scooters bring in allowing us to join the walking. I will not claim I am walking when I am not, doing so doesn't help me raise awareness of Muscular Dystrophy.

In my opinion rebranding the word walking is simply not needed. I think this falls under the definition of stupidity. Let's stop trying to change things that don't need changing!

What do you think?

My mobility scooter isn't how I walk, it's how I get around. I won't claim that I can walk if I am unable to.

So is this complete BS or are they onto something?