Tuesday, June 19, 2018

My dream of becoming a professional race car driver

When it comes to living with Muscular Dystrophy the reality is that it has kept me from being able to pursue one of my biggest dreams. That dream was to become a professional racer. This started as a child and thinking back I can even remember watching the Daytona 500 with my dad when they first started broadcasting the races on TV. Some of my fondest memories from my childhood include attending races at Mosport with my dad which played a major role in me longing to become a professional racer. Also the fact that my brother raced the go-kart pictured above eventually led to the opportunity of me getting behind the wheel. Unfortunately, after a few short laps it was apparent to me that my physical limitations would keep me from being able to pursue this dream. But my love of motorsport remain strong as I continued watching races on TV which included NASCAR, IMSA, Indy Car and even the Trans Am Series.

The one time I participated in a Go Kart Race

In my teens, I remember a time when I joined my churches youth group on a trip to an amusement park in New York known as Darien Lake. While walking through the park to my surprise mixed in with the roller coasters was a small go kart track. So, my friend's and I took advantage of this opportunity to have a little race. After a short wait the gates opened and everyone waiting rushed to the go karts at the front of the pack. Being unable to run due to Muscular Dystrophy I ending up with the very last go kart on the starting grid. This meant I was starting dead last - so it was time to focus. At one point, during the race ahead of me I noticed my friend struggling to pass two other drivers. Next thing I know I am right on their bumpers. All of a sudden, a gap opened up and like Ayrton Senna I went for it and was actually able to pass my friend and the other two drivers on the same lap. At that point, I was catching the top three but the next thing I knew our time on track was up. If only we had just a few more laps left I might have been up front challenging for the lead. Now during the race, I was so focused on driving that I didn't realize how hard I was pushing the gas pedal. Unfortunately, this left my right leg so weak that for a short time I could barely walk. 

It was a quick reminder that my dream of becoming a race driver would never become a reality. In the end this meant my dream of becoming a professional racer would now have to be fulfilled by playing racing games on my PlayStation. Looking back it is truly unfortunate that Muscular Dystrophy is the one thing that kept me from being able to pursue this dream. But still I longed to be a part of the racing community and thankfully many years later it led to the founding of Laps for Muscular Dystrophy - a fundraising effort where racers donate $1 for every lap they lead to Muscular Dystrophy charities.

This not only allows me to be a part of the racing community but also gives me a purpose in life. That is why I hope Racers & Team across Canada & the USA might consider joining in support of LAPS4MD - to provide "Hope" and help make a difference in the lives of families affected by Muscular Dystrophy.

Please visit LAPS4MD.org & join us on Instagram @LAPS4MD today!