Sunday, August 19, 2012

My Travel Review: Blue Mountain - Ontario, Canada

Blue Mountain - Ontario, Canada
When it comes to the summer time like most people it’s the one time of the year I look forward to the most. Over the last few years it has become a tradition for my wife and I to always make our way down to Niagara Falls, Ontario. This year we decided to go somewhere else thanks to my wife’s aunt and uncle who invited us to join them in Blue Mountain which is actually only about three hours away from our home. Originally my wife was going to make her way up with them on her own and I was just going to stay home. Due to a doctor’s appointment it wasn’t possible for my wife to join them. A few days later last minute we decided to drive up on our own after all we both just wanted to get away at least once this summer. This seemed to be our best opportunity to get away so we packed up the car and headed to the Blue Mountain resort they were stay at. When we arrived in the area all we could see was ski hills off in the distance. Eventually we made our way through the historical downtown area of the community of Collingwood, Ontario which simply looked amazing. If you are ever driving through this community it is really worth it to go out of your way to take a look at their downtown area. By the time we finally arrive at the Blue Mountains resort that we were joining my wife’s aunt and uncle at the sun happened to be setting off in the back ground which resulted in the photo you find at the very top of this blog post.
Blue Mountain Resort
The first thing I noticed when we arrived was that I would have to climb quite a few stairs to get into the second floor of the condo building they were staying at. I knew ahead of time that I was going to have to deal with stairs yet again but decided before we left that I wasn’t going to allow this to keep me from having a good time. To be honest I really wasn’t looking forward to the challenge at hand but thankfully I made my way up the stairs and when I reached the top I felt like I had really accomplished something. Now I am sure more than a few of you may be wondering why no request was made to be moved to a more accessible suite. Unfortunately the entire resort was completely booked so it simply wasn’t possible. The trip being a last minute decision also helped to put me in this situation. I am sure that those living with Becker’s Muscular Dystrophy who are still walking can relate when I say that I have to take my time when going up or down stairs. Sure I may have to do it in a different way than other’s I am just thankful that at this point in my life if I have to I can still get it done. Anyways when I finally arrived at the top of the stairs and made my way into the suite they were staying in I was quite impressed, the first thing I noticed was the amazing view of the entire resort. Since Blue Mountain is a great destination for skiers here in Ontario, Canada their suite looked a lot like your typical ski resort room with a fireplace and plenty of country accents. The suite they were staying in was so big that my wife and I actually had our very own bathroom with a walk-in shower. This meant I was going to have a great weekend or at least it meant I was going to have no problems taking a shower. I really wish more hotel bathrooms were built this way. You can ask anyone with limited mobility and they will tell you walk-in showers make a world of difference especially when on vacation. So I was very happy about getting to use a bathroom with a walk-in shower. My only complaint about our first night in Blue Mountain was the fact that we had to spend the night sleeping on a very uncomfortable pull out couch. But you can’t really complain when you are a guest and someone else is taking care of your accommodations. The only thing we had to pay for on the trip was the gas to get up there.
Blue Mountain Village
The next day we were lucky to wake up to another amazing summer day. So far the summer of 2012 here in Ontario we have been lucky to have been blessed with clear skies and an endless amount of sunny days. Once we were all ready for the day we made our way to Blue Mountain Village which features many buildings that closely resemble the ones you would find on the hills of the ski resorts in Mont Tremblant. Thankfully everything in Blue Mountain Village is easily accessible which is something I was very thankful for since at times it can be quite challenging for me to climb even smallest of hills. The village is filled with plenty of restaurants and little shops and includes some interesting displays such as what appears to be a 1930’s Ford Pick-Up truck filled with flowers which really impressed me for some reason. Eventually we made our way into the centre of Blue Mountain Village where you find Mill Pond a great area to relax and take in all the scenery. There are plenty of Dock Side activities for visitors to take part in which includes volley ball, canoeing and even paddle boating which I know would be quite a challenging activity for some of us to take part in. After a bit of time spent in Blue Mountain Village we made our way back to the resort on a path that ran alongside a pond which was part of the resort we were staying at. It featured a boat house which looked directly over the pond I could only imagine how nice the area must look during the winter time.
My Becker's Story at Blue Mountain
After a long day we finally ended the day out at the pool which was fun it was actually the first time in two years I had set foot in a pool. The first thing I noticed was the water resistance which I have always been told is good for those of us with Becker’s Muscular Dystrophy as it helps us get the exercise we need without having to lift weights. It felt really good being able to sit at the side of the pool relaxing there’s something nice when you have nowhere to go I guess that’s what taking a vacation is all about. Eventually our first day in Blue Mountain had come to an end and as the evening time approaching I couldn’t wait to just sit down and relax. Thankfully the rest of the night was spent on the couch relaxing watching and old episode Star Trek which happened to be the only show on TV at the time. The next morning we woke up pretty early and yet again we were blessed with another perfect summer day which helped to make our time in the area very enjoyable. Later on in the day we made our way to a very popular tourist destination here in Ontario known as Wasaga Beach which was thankfully only a 20 minute drive from where we were staying. It was really a great way for us to end our two day vacation and before you knew it we were saying our goodbyes and making the long journey back home. In the end we had a great time and even though I was stuck climbing stairs during our entire stay I was thankful we were able to get away for at least a few days. My only suggestion is that if you are going to visit Blue Mountain plan ahead and look into making arrangements to stay at a full accessible hotel as it will make all the difference.


Related Posts:

2 comments:

  1. It's really nice there . The pull out beds are awful there , but if you ask they will bring you a thick pad for it , which helps .

    ReplyDelete