Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Becker's Muscular Dystrophy

Becker Muscular Dystrophy (BMD) is a rare genetic condition affecting males for which there is currently no cure. It causes slowly progressive muscle weakness that may be apparent from childhood and leads to difficulties in running, standing, getting up from a low position and causes issues with climbing steps and stairs. Typically a boy with BMD will struggle with physical sports at school and may experience muscle cramps and will have enlarged calf muscles. The progression of BMD is highly variable with symptoms mild in some cases and more severe in others. Some muscles become weak and wasted with leg muscles affected first and later shoulders and upper arms. With progression, walking becomes more difficult, leading to an increased risk of falls and injury. Eventually men with BMD will lose the ability to walk and will require the use of a wheelchair. This could happen anytime between their 20's and 50's or in some cases even later. Some may have heart problems and issues with breathing muscles in the long term.

It must also be known that BMD affects everyone differently while some may use wheelchairs other's still have the ability to walk and their issues are not always that obvious to the untrained eye. But no matter what our limitations are we can lead relatively normal, independent lives. Sure the quality of life for those with Becker's Muscular Dystrophy can be impacted by the symptoms of the disorder. But with assistive devices, independence can be maintained. Many people living with Becker's Muscular Dystrophy go onto have successful careers, to have children and live life pretty much like anyone else. Many people living with BMD are known to make the most of their abilities and learn to adapt to the changes that come along as a result of living with Becker Muscular Dystrophy.

To learn more about Becker Muscular Dystrophy please read my personal story

Brad the author of the My Becker's Story Blog

Thank you for joining me at the My Becker's Story blog.


The goal of the My Becker's Story blog is to share my story open and honestly with the hope of raising awareness about Becker's Muscular Dystrophy. This is why I aim to share the entire story. You see I truly believe that in life honesty is always best – it’s one of the main reasons why I will continue sharing everything including my frustrations, thoughts and concerns related to living with Muscular Dystrophy. Now over the years I have met a few people who say we should only focus on the positives in life which is good but I also believe that we can learn so much from life’s challenges as well. That is why I also aim to share each and every victory along with the challenges in life that I have overcome. After all I truly believe that we can all learn from each other’s experiences - that way when the time comes and others are facing a similar situation we can help them through it. It’s the main reason why I have chosen to share My Becker’s Story.

To read my personal story please click below.



Related posts:
My Childhood with Becker's Muscular Dystrophy ,
My Childhood with Muscular Dystrophy: School & Gym Class ,
Growing up with Muscular Dystrophy: The High School years ,
Life after being diagnosed with Becker's Muscular Dystrophy ,

No comments:

Post a Comment