Wednesday, February 17, 2021

How losing the ability to climb stairs has affected my life

When it comes to living with Becker’s Muscular Dystrophy at some point in our progression losing the ability to climb stairs eventually becomes a reality. In recent years, my inability to climb stairs has been having a major impact on my life. Now when it comes to where I live if there isn’t an elevator in the building I have no other choice but to live on the first floor. Even though I may look perfectly fine and still have the ability to walk my leg muscles are so weak that climbing stairs is now near impossible. If I could afford to I would move into a more modern building with an elevator so I can live on whatever floor I choose. A place where my wife wouldn't have to go down two flights of stairs to access the laundry room. I actually miss the days of being able to help out my wife by doing a bit of laundry while she is at work. Even with my issues I still do my best to help out around the home after all sitting around all day doing nothing isn't really that good for your health.


  Challenges visiting family & friends


 When it comes to visiting family, or friends my inability to climb stairs has created a few problems. Just recently someone we know bought a townhouse with the only bathroom being located on the second floor. The last time we were there I needed to use the bathroom so I went up the stairs on my rear end step by step, then going back down in the same way. After this I could barely walk as my legs felt like rubber as they kept wanting to give out on me. In the moment, I was really frustrated knowing when we visit next time I would not be able to use their bathroom. So, at this point in my progression with Muscular Dystrophy it is now affecting my ability to get together with friends and family. I really wish when it came to hanging out with friends that they could simply come to my place. Only problem is that my current apartment is simply to small and better suit to someone who is single. And as my condition worsens it feels as if my apartment is getting smaller by the day -  especially in our bathroom if you make the wrong move your knee will smash into the counter. I even have the bumps and bruises to prove it. But due to the high cost of rent in my community a move currently isn’t even an option.


 The Biggest Wake-up Call of my Life


 My worst experience came a few years ago, when my wife and I attended a Josh Groban concert. At the time, I was still in denial concerning the progression of my Becker’s Muscular Dystrophy and that night I paid for it dearly. That night my troubles all began when I went to stand up after three hours of sitting in a very small and tight space. It is truly unfortunate that at almost every concert venue the seating they offer is usually very tight leaving you with little to no room to stretch out your legs. I guess not being able to stretch my legs out resulted in my legs became so weak that I just couldn't get up. In that moment my legs had lost all their feeling and strength. This ended up creating an awkward situation as I had never experienced this before. It was as if my legs weren’t even there anymore. Thankfully after a few minutes I was able to crawl up the steps on my hands and knees and use the railing at the top to stand back up. It was more than a little embarrassing. This whole experience acted as a wake-up call. This is when I also realized that accessible seating would have made a huge difference. It was at that moment I knew that stairs were quickly becoming my worst enemy. Fast forward to today and I avoid stairs at any cost as a simple fall while using them could end very badly. In many cases in my situation a broken leg would more than likely end with me never being able to walk again. Now, as I continue to lose strength in my muscles I know overtime other challenges will come my way and I hope I am ready to face them. As of today, the reality is that stairs are now my worst enemy.