Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Living with a Disability & Upgrading to a vehicle that suits your needs

Over the last few years I have often referred to Becker's Muscular Dystrophy as a hidden disability. While that is true to a certain extent as we age the affects of Muscular Dystrophy on our muscles becomes more than a little difficult to hide. As our muscles gradually weaken falls start happened more frequently and the use of a cane when walking becomes a necessity. This eventually leads to issue's with getting up from a seated position which around the home may lead to the use of a lifter chair - a very useful mobility aid for many people living with disabilities. Other issues related to the difficulty of getting up from a seated position results in many of us needing to upgrade our vehicles, as they become increasingly hard for us to get in and out of. As we get older many of us need to switch from cars to mini-vans and even small sized SUV's. 

You see as we start finding it increasingly difficult to walk or get up from a low seated position mini-vans and some smaller sized SUV's are more capable of handling our specific needs. Some vehicles might even be used to transport a wheelchair if we are at that point in our progression that we require one. Currently I am at the point in my progression where upgrading to an SUV or even a mini-van would help to make my life so much easier. At this point in time I am finding it increasingly difficult to get in and out of my current little car. But due to budget limitations it will be closer to 4 or 5 years before I can afford to upgrade. As a car enthusiast this hasn't kept me from looking at a few vehicles that I know would suit my needs perfectly. Thankfully over the last few years small sized crossover SUV's have been gaining in popularity. So much so that two manufactures have recently entered the market. Now while SUV's are great I also find myself looking to the future and the possibility of my need for mini-van. If the day comes and I need to use a wheelchair full-time a van would definitely suit my needs better than any SUV. So today I would like to share with you my list of vehicles that I believe would suit mine and maybe your future needs.
2016 Honda HR-V
The 2016 Honda HR-V is a great option as it offers a low step in height making it easy to get in and out of. The HR-V also offers Honda quality and reliability. The HR-V also offers the same versatility as the Honda Fit. It would easily transport a small sized collapsible wheelchair.
2015 Kia Soul
 Since it's introduction the Kia Soul has been a huge success. The Kia Soul offers the perfect step in height, especially for those still walking who aim to drive a vehicle that is easier to get in and out. With the back seats folded flat it can easily transport a small collapsible wheelchair.
2015 Hyundai Tucson
The Hyundai Tucson is a great choice. Compared to other vehicles it offers plenty of cargo room. It is more than capable of handling the unique needs many of us face. This is a great vehicle for those who are still walking as it offers a step in height that many will find works perfectly.
2015 Honda Odyssey
This list wouldn't be complete without at least one mini-van. The 2015 Honda Odyssey is the perfect van for those living with disabilities. Whether still walking or using a wheelchair full time the Odyssey offers the perfect step in height. Many will find that they are able to get in and out of the Odyssey with little to no effort. It is more than capable of transporting a wheelchair. Best of all it can also be converted into a wheelchair accessible van.  
MV-1 Accessible Vehicle
The MV-1 is a first of it's kind factory built fully accessible vehicle manufactured in the USA. The MV-1 is the perfect vehicle for anyone who uses a wheelchair full-time. Plus it offers much more cargo space than your typical conversion van. It also comes standard with a side entry ramp which helps to ensure safety of occupants using a wheelchair. It certainly is a great option for those who use wheelchairs.  

My only hope now is that I win the lottery so I can afford to upgrade my vehicle right away!


Related Posts:

2 comments:

  1. Hello, Brad! Why not go for an SUV that gives more space for your luggage and provides easy maneuverability going in and going out? I think these are comfort and safety factors that you have to consider. Anyway, I hope you found the vehicle which most suits your present needs. All the best!

    Rhonda Burgess @ Bob Dunn Hyundai

    ReplyDelete
  2. I joined a local auto group on Facebook, and when I told them about my disability, the help was unbelievable. There was a local dealer I didn't even know about that was making modifications to new cars so the disabled can drive more easily. Lucky to say I have a new car and I am actually loving being able to drive again.

    ReplyDelete