Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Durham Region Walk for Muscular Dystrophy Ambassador


When it comes to living with Muscular Dystrophy I have been on a mission to raise awareness in my community. It was five years when first joined my local Walk for Muscular Dystrophy. I am happy to announce that for 2014 I have been asked to be the Durham Region Walk for Muscular Dystrophy Ambassador. It is a true honor to have been chosen as this years Ambassador. My aim will be to support Muscular Dystrophy Canada by sharing my story to help raise awareness and funds to make a difference in the lives of everyone affected by Muscular Dystrophy.

A look back at my involvement with the Durham Region Walk for Muscular Dystrophy

It was in 2010 when I first joined the Walk for Muscular Dystrophy after some encouragement from my sister to join. At that time Team Brad was formed and ever since that day the event has become one that I look forward to participating in each and every year. The best part is having the chance to join together with my family and friends. After all the Walk is all about showing your support for a family member or friend who is living with Muscular Dystrophy. Many of you might already know that one of the main reasons why enjoy participating in the walk is due to the fact that I was diagnosed with Becker's Muscular Dystrophy at the age of 10. It also gives me the opportunity to connect with others and raise awareness about neuromuscular disorders. As a young adult living with Muscular Dystrophy I believe that there is no better way to show your support and raise awareness than to join your local walk.


What I enjoy most about being involved in my local walk is the ability to be a part of a team. I believe that creating a team is one of the best ways to get people excited about the event and more importantly it goes a long way in helping us raise awareness in our communities. On the day of the event it really means a lot to me to see so many people joining together in support of family members and friends who are living with Muscular Dystrophy. I know firsthand how much it means to me to have my family and friends support Team Brad by joining us at the Walk for Muscular Dystrophy each and every year. On top of that over the last few years of attending the walk I have made so many great new friends. Like many I am looking forward to seeing everyone again at the 2014 Durham Region Walk for Muscular Dystrophy on May 25th.

2013 Durham Region Walk for Muscular Dystrophy planning committee
In 2011 I joined the Durham Region Walk for Muscular Dystrophy planning committee in an effort to help support an event that is so close to my heart. One of the things I look forward to the most every year is the ability to join with others in my community who share a common goal of supporting Muscular Dystrophy Canada with the hopes that one day we find a cure for all forms of Muscular Dystrophy.

Consider supporting Team Brad

Help Team Brad make a difference in the lives of over 50,000 Canadians living with Muscular Dystrophy by making even a small donation towards our fundraising goal. Whether you are in Canada the United States or even the UK you are encouraged to make a donation in support of those living with Muscular Dystrophy. Please click on the Team Brad image below or simply visit http://muscle.akaraisin.com/DurhamWMD2014/TeamBrad2014 to make a secure online donation. Thank you for your support in 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment