Tuesday, September 10, 2013

A look back at an amazing summer!

Niagara Falls - Summer 2013
 When it comes to the summertime it always starts the same way - for many of us with physical disabilities we are just happy to have our freedom back. You see for some of us the winter season can be quite a challenge especially due to poor weather conditions. So once the summer arrives I view it as a time for me to get out there and do as much as I possibly can. This usually starts with a yearly trip to Niagara Falls, a place my wife and I enjoy going to at least once every summer. This year we ended up going at the end of April which is still considered their off-season, a time when you can find some really great deals on a site known as Wag-Jag. We were lucky enough to book a hotel that was located directly next to the Canada One Outlet mall. Unfortunately on the day when we arrived it was raining but I still kept a positive attitude about things and the very next day we awoke to clear skies and summer like weather conditions. After breakfast at the Flying Saucer
Restaurant our first stop was at a place known as the Bird Kingdom a very popular attraction in Niagara Falls. Being the off season this resulted in no lines and it actually felt as if we had the entire place to ourselves. It was quite an amazing place with a many different types of birds. It even features a Javanese Tea House which can be found within the Main Aviary where you find over 400 birds flying free in 50,000 sq. feet of tropical rainforest featuring a 40 ft. waterfall. We definitely had a great time at the Bird Kingdom. After this we parked close the falls and took in the amazing view of Horseshoe Falls. Talk about a really great way to kick off the summer.      
Niagara Falls - Bird Kingdom
In June we made our way to the Toronto Zoo another yearly stop each summer. It is a massive Zoo which means plenty of walking which can be a challenge for me at time but as long as I take a few breaks along the way I am usually fine. This day was a little different though since it was the very first hot and humid day of the summer. It wasn't your regular kind of summer heat either it was the kind where you only walk a few feet and your covered in sweat. But we didn't allow this to ruin the day so we set out to have a good time. It was a long day but we enjoyed seeing all the exotic animals and finished the day at the main attraction which happens to be the state-of-the-art Panda Interpretive Centre. This is where you can view the pandas Er Shun and Da Mao. The lines were very long for this exhibit and sadly due to the large crowds gathered around the windows where you could see the pandas I actually was only able to get a short look at them. I really wish they were outside as this would have given us a much better view of these amazing animals. We were joined by a few friends and ended up having a great time at the Toronto Zoo.    
Toronto Zoo
One of my favorite places to go in the summer is down to the local beach, this is where I usually go for a short walk or sit on a bench enjoying the day. It is so great after a long winter to be able to go outside and relaxing enjoying the summer weather. I really believe that I am very lucky to live in an area where there are plenty of things to do during the summertime. One of my favorite things to do in the summer is to get together with my friends and drive a half hour east of the city we live in an go to an amazing beach found in the city of Cobourg. Only complaint about this area is a real lack of accessible parking but thankfully my friends can drop me off close to the beach. It truly is one of the best beaches you will find in our area. The city of Cobourg features a historic downtown area which makes it a great place to visit. Sometimes we even go to and see a film at the drive-in movie theatre found just outside of Cobourg in a city known as Port Hope. It is a bit of a dive especially if you have to use their bathrooms but as long as you stay in your car you will have a great time. It definitely makes for a great night and it's one of the many perks of being able to enjoy the summertime. There's no doubt that this summer was amazing I am just upset that it is now over and that winter is on it way.


Related post:
My Travel Review: Blue Mountain Ontario, Canada ,
My personal story growing up with Becker's Muscular Dystrophy ,
Dealing with the Progression of Muscular Dystrophy , A look at Accessibility at a Toronto Blue Jays Baseball game & A look at a day spent at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park




1 comment:

  1. I'd love to show you around Niagara on the Lake and have you write an article for my blog. Please get in touch with me at: http://www.niagara-on-the-lake-cottagerental.com/

    ReplyDelete