Sunday, October 14, 2012

Raising Awareness about Muscular Dystrophy

When it comes to sharing my personal story about living with Muscular Dystrophy at times it leads to some very unique opportunities. Recently I was given the opportunity to speak on behalf of Muscular Dystrophy Canada at a local event to help raise awareness about the important services and supports they offer Canadian’s like me who are living with Muscular Dystrophy. They also asked me to share a bit about my story as this would help to give the people at the event a better perspective of what it is like for someone living with Becker Muscular Dystrophy. As you can see this would be a great opportunity for me to make people more aware of Muscular Dystrophy and some of the issues we face. To be completely honest at first I was a little reluctant to say yes. You see public speaking is something I tend to avoid since it has always made me feel a little uncomfortable. But since this was going to be a great opportunity for me to share our story and raise awareness about Muscular Dystrophy there was no way I was going to turn them down.
 
Speaking at the Walk for MD
The one good thing about this opportunity was the chance to speak on behalf of Muscular Dystrophy Canada as it is something I have always wanted to do. You see over the last few years I have wanted to speak at my local Walk for Muscular Dystrophy but my issues with speaking in public have kept me from doing so. This time around I decided to put my fears aside - after all I was going to be representing a cause so very close to my heart. Sure I may have been a little nervous but it was good to know that a few other representatives from other local charities were going to be speaking as well. The day of the event it was nice to meet with the other speakers who I found out had been doing these types of presentations for years. When I told them it was my very first time speaking they were very supportive assuring me that I would do just fine. I was the second speaker of the day and when my turn came I was very thankfully that the notes I had prepared a few days earlier were there to help me out. The first thing I spoke about was Muscular Dystrophy Canada and how since 1954 they have been committed to enhancing the quality of life for those affected by neuromuscular disorders.
The aim was to raise awareness about Muscular Dystrophy Canada and how they are helping to make a difference in the lives of Canadians living with Muscular Dystrophy. Eventually I started to share my story and I am happy to say it went very well. I actually felt very comfortable and enjoyed speaking openly about Becker’s Muscular Dystrophy - I even mentioned how it can affect each and every one of us in different ways. Something many people didn’t know. It truly felt good to share my story and to be able to raise awareness about the issues we face. Most of all I really enjoyed being able to represent Muscular Dystrophy Canada and being given the chance to speak publicly and share My Becker’s Story.  After all the number one goal of the My Becker’s Story blog is to raise awareness and thanks to this opportunity it looks like public speaking might just be the next step in sharing our story.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment