Monday, July 16, 2012

Dealing with the progression of Muscular Dystrophy

Visit the ALL-NEW My Becker's Story blog at
Features All-New & Updated blog posts!

When it comes to dealing with the Progression of Becker’s Muscular Dystrophy at times it can become a little frustrating. The main issue I am dealing with now is my struggle just to get up from a seated position. The first place this became a major issue for me was when it came to driving my old car which happened to sit very low to the ground. Thankfully I was able to correct this by purchasing a vehicle which sat a little bit higher helping to reduce my struggle when it came to getting in and out of my vehicle. There are still a few place where this issue is a problem - it’s one of the reasons I tend to avoid my local movie theatre. Now I still venture out to the movies every once in a while but I always wait till the end of the show until the movie theatre is empty before I even attempt to stand up. This usually works perfectly since I don't enjoy exiting a theatre surrounded by a crowd of other people.  When it comes to my issues with standing up from a seated position it is something I am trying to get use to but at times I do feel a little frustrated. I already know that living with Becker’s Muscular Dystrophy that my muscles are going to get weaker it just not always that easy to accept. Eventually I know I will come to accept it but for some of us it might take longer than others. After all everyone's story is a little different and we all have our own ways of handling changes to our everyday lives.

Thankfully over the last few years I have learned how to handle certain situations when it comes to my struggles to get up from a seated position. The one thing I find that helps me when getting up is if I swing my arm forward as it seems to give me the momentum I need to stand up. This is mainly something I do only at home, in other situations I tend to place my hands on my thighs and then push down on my legs as this helps me to get up. This is something I usually have to do when out at a restaurant or over at a friends house. In recently years going to the barber for a hair cut has become a problem as well so I usually end up cutting it myself at home. The main issue is the struggle I face when it comes time to get up from the barbers chair as the foot rest extension always seems to get in my way. Sure I could always ask them to put the chair at a level that works best for me - but since I am a little shy at times I never speak up and ask them if they could do it. So I am willing to take the blame for this one. The one good thing about all of this it is that it helps me to save a lot of money on haircuts. Maybe one day I will choose to speak up and explain my situation after all most people are very understanding when it comes to the issues we face. I guess I have to learn to speak up as doing so might just make my life so much easier. In the end it really doesn’t hurt to ask right? 
The next place I seem to be having a few issues is around my apartment. Especially when it comes to getting up off the couch. The one good thing about being at home is that there is usually always something for me to push off of – the couch and the coffee table are usually my best friend in these moments. You see as long as I have some type of surface to push off of I can get up no problem. One thing that I could really benefit from at this point in my progression is a lifter-chair. Something I have been hoping to get for a very long time. I actually know of others living with Becker’s Muscular Dystrophy who already use lifter-chairs and they tell me it has really change their lives. I guess I just have to start saving to be able to purchase one someday soon. What I am most thankful for is that no matter what issue I face related to the progression of Muscular Dystrophy is that there many devices out there that were created to make our lives easier. And I am sure there will come a day when I am able to accept each and every struggle I face after all it truly is the best thing we can do.