Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The challenges of finding suitable employment

Since the beginning of the My Becker’s story blog in I have expressed my frustrations with when it comes to seeking employment. As many of you might already know just three years ago I use to work in a call centre until a work related injury changed my life forever. The most frustrating thing was the fact that I had to give up the one job I was really good at. Shortly after this is when I started the My Becker’s Story blog and started sharing my personal story. Over the last few years I have tried to re-enter the working world. I actually once attempted to make a return to call centre life but my work related injury started acting up and that was the end of that. So I started pursuing a career in freelance journalism and to my surprise the opportunity to write for Autos.ca came along resulting in two of my articles being published on their web page. I really hoped that this would have led to even more opportunities unfortunately nothing else ever really materialized. So once again I find myself pursuing some form of employment that suits my specific needs. I just never knew it was going to so challenging.

Over the last few weeks I have applied to a few job posting and have yet to hear anything back. This is part of the frustration many face when looking for work. When it comes to living with a disability at times it can be challenging as we have to be very specific when it comes to the jobs we apply for. So many times over the last few months I have applied for jobs that would suit my specific needs - I've even had a few interviews but they always seem to choose someone else. This is when searching for a job becomes a little frustrating as just like everyone else in the world I need a decent income to survive. After searching through many job postings day after day it seems as if my job options are very limited. What I truly wish is that I could work from home, but the only jobs available are work from home call centre jobs which simply don’t work for me. I am still hopeful that one day I will find a job writing as it seems to be the one thing that I am really good at. At the present time no one is really hiring and if they want you to write for their publication many publishers simply can’t afford to pay you. Like many people I can`t pay my bills if I am always working for free. What really bothers me is the fact that I love cars but can’t seem to find a form of employment in that industry that works for me. So lately I have been praying for a miracle hoping the perfect job would come my way but it seems to be taking a long time for it to happen. I guess patience while looking for a job is important as well. I actually try and not allow things to get me down but it's hard when you apply for a job you know you can do and never hear anything back. Perfect example of this is when I recently applied for a job at a local big box store which is known for offering employment to people with disabilities. But for some reason they overlooked my resume resulting in yet another perfect job opportunity lost. It`s at this point most people would tend to give up but I still hold out the hope that the right opportunity will soon come along. No matter what happens the readers of the My Becker’s Story blog will be the first to know. 



Related posts:
Life has its Ups & Downs , Pursuing your dreams
&
Disability, Differently Abled or Abilities? 


http://my-beckers-story.blogspot.com/p/contact-me.html
Join the My Becker's Story blog on social media

2 comments:

  1. To learn from some other person’s experience is really a great thing. I thank you a lot for sharing this , millions of people will get benefits from it. I hope!
    I may also share South Africa Job Vacancies and Jobs In Gulf for those who are seeking for a job.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m sorry for what happened. But I’m glad you were able to get back on your feet again. It is hard to get back on track after an incident or illness, much less to find a job again. Were you able to claim your compensation from your previous work? If not, better seek the help of a professional to guide you on the procedure to get accident claims for your work-related injury or illness. The compensation will certainly help you financially.

    ReplyDelete