Monday, February 6, 2012

A look at: The Lions Foundation of Canada Dog Guides

When it comes to Dog Guides I'll admit like so many people we tend to make the mistake of assuming Dog Guides are strictly for those who are blind or visually impaired. I never even thought about the assistance Dog Guides could offer those of us with  physical disabilities. Thankfully I met Gord and at that point I was able to learn a lot more about the Special Skills program offered by Lions Foundation of Canada Dog Guides. In this post we take a look at how a Dog Guide might just work for you.   

Since the introduction of the Special Skills program in 1991, people with physical or medical disabilities have discovered a renewed sense of safety and independence through the use of one of these Dog Guides. On a daily basis, Special Skills Dog Guides help their handlers retrieve objects, open and close appliances, and open and close doors. These Dog Guides are also trained to bark or activate an alert system when help is needed. Their ability to perform such a wide range of tasks puts Special Skills Dog Guides in high demand and has proven them to be a vital aid for many individuals.

Special Skills Dog Guides can be identified by their black leather SSD monogrammed harnesses with a blue patch.

Angela and her Dog Guide Digby, from Victoria, British Columbia
Photo Courtesy of Lions Foundation of Canada Dog Guides
After retiring her first Dog Guide, Yogi, Angela knew she could not live a life without the assistance of a Dog Guide. The time she spent between retiring Yogi and waiting to come back to Lions Foundation of Canada Dog Guides to train with her new Special Skills Dog Guide, Digby, made her wonder how she ever got along without one before. "I found that when I no longer had the use of a Dog Guide my independence disappeared. I had to ask others to help me all the time and that made me realize how vital having one is," she says.

Now back in Victoria, B.C. with Digby by her side Angela has regained the confidence to continue on with her studies in psychology and photography. "This is a fresh start with a new Dog Guide, a new chapter in my life as a young adult," she says.

If you would like more information concerning the Lions Foundation of Canada Dog Guides and their Dog Guide Programs please click below:

Great news! The Lions Foundation of Canada Dog Guides says currently their waiting list for the Special Skills program is shorter than usual, so if you are thinking about it you may want to apply today at: http://www.dogguides.com/special.html 



Content/photos/logos used with the permission of
The Lions Foundation of Canada Dog Guides

 




3 comments:

  1. Awesome stuff, thank you and keep coming with these, will be back again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got my first dog guide from them. It was traffic shy. I had to send it back the second month of receiving her. The trainers knew that she was traffic shy they told me the second week after I had finished training. They told me she showed it during her six months of training to become a CVC dog. I was very upset and I will never get a dog guide from them again. And that is not just because they didn't tell me but the fact that their client services is a failure I can't count how many times I had called and they said we will call you back and they never did this was before and after I was accepted. They never replied to my emails. And they lost my forms. The only trainer who every replied was Greg Clarke. With that said take heed when choosing the right school do your research.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome stuff, thank you and keep coming with these, will be back again.

    Kind Regards,

    Colin Seal
    check out the post right here

    ReplyDelete