Monday, February 13, 2012

Pursuing your dreams

The other day I came across a comment on the My Becker’s Story blog from Paul who said; “He loves the blog and that he has been following My Becker’s Story on twitter for quite some time, he also goes onto say that what I am going through sounds very similar to his experiences”. Whenever I receive comments or emails that are encouraging it helps me to know that other's can relate to my story. Most of all I hope it is making a difference. The best thing about blogging about Muscular Dystrophy is that you meet others who are going through or who have been through a similar situation. From time to time you will even hear stories that inspire you. I truly believe that the second part of Paul's comment might be a source of great encouragement to more than a few of us. His suggestion is to Do as much as you can while you can and put nothing off until tomorrow. What this has done is encourage me to pursue my dreams. And even more inspiring is that 13 years ago Paul was able to fulfilled his dream of sailing around the world, talk about an amazing achievement. Paul says he is very happy he was able to accomplish this while he was able to since it wouldn’t be possible for him to do it today.

When it comes to Paul’s comment I started thinking about the things in my life I hope to accomplish before the progression of Muscular Dystrophy limit my abilities completely. My main worry in life is one day losing my ability to drive - right now I am perfectly fine but with the progression of Muscular Dystrophy you never know when that day might come. This is why I am currently pursuing my dream job of becoming an Automotive Journalist that's why I created Brad's Auto Reviews since it allows me to do two of the things I love most in life: writing and reviewing new cars. This gives me the opportunity to live my dream of driving many different vehicles and being part of an industry I have loved since I was a child. My only regret is not pursuing this dream earlier in life but lately with the opportunities given to me by Autos.ca I might just be successful at something I am truly good at. If I am lucky enough to one day get paid to review cars for a living then one day I can look back like Paul did and say I am really glad I was able to accomplish my dream while it was still possible. In the past I didn’t allow my condition to hold me back and at this point in my life I still refuse to allow it to hold me back from accomplish my dream of becoming
 an automotive journalist.

I write this post to encourage everyone that if there is something in your life that you want to do and you are still capable of doing it get out there and pursue it. Even if you are already in a wheelchair know that there are still many things you can accomplish as well. Look at Dan from the Life with Muscular Dystrophy blog he uses a wheel chair yet he's traveled around the world. Next take Michael McGrath from the United Kingdom for example even though he's living with Muscular Dystrophy he became the first person with a disability to make it to the North and South Poles.
2012 Copyright Michael McGrath, the Muscle Foundation
Along with this great accomplishment Michael McGrath is also an amazing motivational speaker and I encourage you to visit his personal website to learn more. Michael is also the man behind The Muscle Help Foundation which was created to help fulfill the dreams of children and young people in the UK whose lives are afflicted by muscular dystrophy. Michael McGrath proves that we don't need to be limited by our situations and that is still possible to achieve our dreams and encourage others along the way.
Whatever your dreams are today I encourage you to pursue them as well and take Paul's advice into consideration. Do as much as you can, while you can and don’t put anything off until tomorrow. And one day you to will be able to look back and be glad you chased after your dreams.

If you would like to stay up to date with all of the Auto Reviews that I have completed for the My Becker's Story blog and other publications. Please visit Brad's Auto Reviews.


Related posts:
Disability, Differently Abled or Abilities? ,
 A great sense of humour goes a long way ,
 Does it really matter what people think? ,
My personal story growing up with Becker's Muscular Dystrophy ,
Life after being diagnosed with Becker's Muscular Dystrophy &
Growing up with Becker’s Muscular Dystrophy as a teenager


http://my-beckers-story.blogspot.com/p/contact-me.html
Join the My Becker's Story blog on social media

  


2 comments:

  1. Great post Brad! I saw your FB link and laughed b/c I just posted something about dreams too. Must be on the same wavelength!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dan! That is funny we must have been on the samewavelength for sure! Now lets hope a few of our dreams come true! :)

      Delete