Sunday, August 7, 2011

The 2011 Durham Region Walk for Muscular Dystrophy was a great success!

The 2011 Durham Region Walk for Muscular Dystrophy took place on May 29th and was a great success! This year over 185 people attended this year’s event. I was amazed by the large turnout on a day that called for thunder storms and showers but luckily not one drop of rain fell during the entire event. This was only my second time attending the Walk for Muscular Dystrophy and this year I had the privilege of joining the Durham Region Walk planning committee. Over the last few months of being involved with the planning committee I learned that support from the local community is very important when putting on a Walk. We we’re very lucky to have the support of a few local sponsors who wanted to be a part of this year’s walk including a few from previous years and I would like to thank all of them for being a part of this year’s event. And I hope to see their continued support of the Walk for
Community Supporter Jack Astor's
years to come and hope their involvement would help to encourage more local businesses to join in supporting next year’s event as well. In total this year’s Durham Region Walk for Muscular Dystrophy helped to raise over $23,000 which will be used by Muscular Dystrophy Canada to help fund research and help them continue to offer Support Service to those living with this disorder. I am happy to know that a part of the funds raised by each and every Walk that takes place across Canada will go a long way in helping Muscular Dystrophy Canada continue to offer the Mobility Equipment Program which helps to cover the costs of many different Mobility Aids which help to improve the lives of those living with Muscular Dystrophy. That’s why I am happy to say this year thanks to the support of many people in my life including a few who I met on Toyota Canada’s Facebook page made donations which enabling me to exceed my set fund raising goal of $750. I am so thankful to those who took the time to support me and others living with Muscular Dystrophy by making a donation to such a great cause. I also would like to thank my family for being there to support me and maybe next year even a few of my friends will be able to make it out as well.

I really enjoyed being a part of the 2011 Durham Region Planning committee and was happy to be involved in helping to promote as well as seek out local sponsors for the event. Even though I didn’t score the sponsorship of a major corporation I am happy to say that I was able to hand out a few flyers promoting the event and to have a local Radio Station add the Walk to their Community Events Calendar on their webpage. And just a week before the event I was lucky enough to win a T-Shirt and a Coffee Mug from entering a contest on Mills Motors Facebook page which I donated to the Walk to be given away as a raffle prize. Along with my donation to the raffle many other great prizes were donated including a Sirius Satellite Radio and a really expensive looking travel bag. In all it seems there might have been over 30 raffle prizes that were given away and was nice to see everyone having such a good time during the raffle.

What I enjoy the most about being a involved in my local Walk for Muscular Dystrophy is how it helps to unite those of us affected by this disorder. It is also a great place to meet new people and it helps me a lot to know I am not in this alone and it made me feel great to learn that 185 attended this year Durham Region Walk for Muscular Dystrophy. And it is a great feeling to know that no matter what form of Muscular Dystrophy we have those like me living with the disorder along with our families and friends all share the same dream that one day they will find a cure. To everyone including all the Teams who joined the 2011 Durham Region Walk for Muscular Dystrophy your fund raising efforts not only mean a lot to your loved one affected by this disorder but to me as well I can’t thank everyone enough including the sponsors for being a part of an event that means so much to me and I am proud to support the efforts of Muscular Dystrophy Canada in raising funds to help people like me. I just can’t wait till next year!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment