Thursday, May 19, 2011

Life has its Ups & Downs

If you are a regular reader of the My Becker’s Story blog you may already know a little bit about my employment story, which ended with a work related injury in the form of tendonitis. This is not a fun condition to have since it is so easily aggravated. But some people might wonder if I even plan on working again and I would to say yes since being employed definitely made my life better especially when it came to my finances. When it came to working in a call centre the major bump in income was a dream come true, my only regret is that I never knew anything about the painful condition know as tendonitis. Sadly I had to learn about it the hard way and also found out pretty quickly that we live in a world were some employers don't really care about their employees. What really frustrates me the most about my previous employer is that there was never any mention of work related injuries or the WSIB, they also never even took the time to show us how to set up a work station ergonomically. It didn't really help that many of the desks, chairs and even computers were broken through out the entire call centre. Sure I could go on and on blaming my employer for my injury but what's done is done. All I know is that if I never got tendonitis I would probably still be working today.

With a major drop in income times were tough, eventually I decided to apply for a job at another call centre in my area. So I sent off my resume and actually received a call with-in a few hours and at that point we set up a time for the interview. At first I was happy but the excitement was short lived the next thing I know all the memories of what I went through with my previous employer and the WSIB start flooding my mind. At that point I was beyond stressed out and during the drive to the interview I actually felt like I was having a heart attack. At one point I almost drove my self to the hospital but instead decided to call my wife who was able to calm me down by telling me I really have nothing to worry about. Long story short the interview went so well they hired me on the spot. It felt good to impress someone during the interview process. Next up was training which unfortunately didn’t go so well since my Tendonitis started acting up again. To be honest I had a feeling that working in another call centre was a big mistake and in the end I was right and eventually ended up
 leaving the job.

These days most of my time is spent searching for ways to increase my income and the best way for me to do this is to create a home based business. Over the last year I have met other people living with Becker’s Muscular Dystrophy who either work from home or have been lucky enough to create a successful businesses of their own. Right now my main focus is trying to find work that I can do from home but surprisingly its a lot harder than you think. We all know that the Internet is littered with plenty of work from home scams. What I really wish I could make a living as a writer since it’s a great job that you can do from home. Sadly only small amount of people actually make good money as full-time writers but I won't give up. Sure as we get older we sometimes start to realize many of our dreams may never come true but we can't let this discourage us. I still dream of one day becoming a paid automotive journalist who works for a magazine or automotive website. As you know I have pursued this since the start of the My Becker's Story blog. So I am sure you can understand when Scion Canada gave me the opportunity to test drive and complete a review of the 2011 Scion xD I was very happy. It was at that moment when I became an automotive journalist.

As you can see life has it's ups and downs but when things happen we should never give up. I think about it all the time that if I was still working in a call centre I probably would of never had time to start the My Becker's Story blog. And what I am doing is much more exciting than being yelled at and mistreated by angry customers. Sure the major drop in income and the tendonitis are no fun to deal with but there's nothing I can do about it. All I can say is if you find yourself in a similar situation to mine don't give up. Through it all I do my best to try and stay positive living with the hope that new opportunities are just around the corner. In the next few months or even years who really knows what will happen maybe one of my dreams will come true. No matter what I plan to stay focused on the My Becker’s Story blog hoping I get another break or two along the way. In the end we really never know what the future holds, my plan is to keep striving to reach my dreams and make the most of any opportunity that comes my way no matter what happens in life.


No comments:

Post a Comment